Wednesday, January 13, 2010

Must Read's For 2010


I have battled with reading my entire life.  I love the knowledge that I gain from reading.  I love to learn. I love the idea of curling up on the couch with a nice cup of hot tea and reading an enticing novel.  But that doesn't always happen.  In fact it never happens.  I feel like I never have the time to read.  But since I have graduated college I have found my desire to learn increasing- and I have found book after book that I know that I need to read.  I love recommending books to people, but I have never found myself to be a novel-kind-of-person.  Instead I love to read books about health, cooking, food, nutrition, and all things life.  Non-fiction has always seemed more practical to me than fiction- I am not sure why.  So over the past year I have found many books that I love- and have just bought a few recently that I am beyond excited about starting.


As my devoted readers (and since I have not been as diligent about giving you something to read on here) I am recommending some books that will not only help you take a few minutes for yourself but help you grow in your knowledge of health and living a healthy life.

So here we go:

One of my favorite authors of all time is Michael Pollan.  He a journalist who set out on a journey to find out what has happened to the food system.  He has uncovered so many truths and is just an incredible writer.  Sometimes I find myself going back to reread something because all I am focused on is how great of a writer he is.  So the first three books are all by Michael Pollan.

  • Food Rules by Michael Pollan.  This is a little pamphlet, if you will, about the "rules" of eating. One of which being to "eat food." It is so cheap on Amazon- I think I bought it for $5.  Definitely a must read!
  • In Defense of Food by Michael Pollan.  This is the broader version of Food Rules, which was written first and then condensed down into a some simple rules.  The entire premise of this book is to "Eat Food. Not Too Much. Mostly Plants."
  • The Omnivore's Delimma by Michael Pollan.  This is all about the journey of our food.  He follows several different meals from the farm or factory to the dinner table.  This is absolutely a fascinating book.
  • enLIGHTened: How I lost 40 pounds with a yoga mat, Fresh Pineapples, and a Beagle-Pointer by Jessica Berger Gross.  This is more of a memoir style book that tells of one woman's journey through life and how doing yoga and becoming healthy has transformed her life.  
  • The Kind Diet by Alicia Silverstone.  Everyone remembers Alicia Silverstone as the ditzy girl from Clueless, but she has become quite the animal activist these days.  She is now a vegan and lives almost completely on a macrobiotic diet.  Half of the book is how to live healthier through food and the second half is all delicious recipes. In fact, I have already made a few and they have been showstoppers! 
  • Naturally Thin and also The Skinnygirl Dish by Bethenny Frankel.  First read Naturally Thin, and I can almost guarantee that it will change your life.  Follow this directly with The Skinnygirl Dish for lessons on how to cook anything and everything and still live healthy and happy!
  • Skinny Bitch and also Skinny Bitch in the Kitch by Rory Freedman and Kim Barnouin.  A very graphic but informative look at what eating meat and dairy does to your body, the planet, and even what it does to the animals.  Absolutely imperative to read before you eat another bite of steak or drink a glass of milk.  
  • Mastering Your Metabolism by Jillian Michaels.  We have all seen her work her magic on The Biggest Loser- so she must have something good to say about the metabolism, right? I just received this book in the mail yesterday and cannot wait to get started on it! This was recommended to me by my Master Trainer at my YogaFit Teacher Training, who is also a Personal Trainer.  Between the two of them I think that this will be a very informative book.  Also- if you have Exercise TV on your On Demand, try Jillian Michaels' free workout.  It is unreal!
  • 5 Good Minutes: 100 Morning Practices to Help You Stay Calm and Focused All Day Long.  This seems to be pretty self explanatory- but it is such a wonderful way to start your day out! This just gives you a little meditation practice each morning.  
Hope that these are just a few to help you get started on a healthy and happy New Year! Please feel free to send me your feedback- or please, please, please send me any great books that you have been reading! I love good recommendations!  You can contact me at hillary@lifeyogatulsa.com.  Happy Reading!

1 comment:

  1. Jillian Michaels is insane! Her workouts really kick my butt. Overall, I love ExerciseTV though. Their workouts are great AND THEY ARE FREE! Can't beat that! Go online to exercisetv.tv and check out their free workout videos! They have tons

    ReplyDelete