Monday, December 7, 2009

If Your Body Is A Temple, Do You Really Want To Leave Doritos At The Alter?


I was reading this wonderful book the other day called enLIGHTened and I came across the question,"If your body is a temple, do you really want to leave doritos at the alter?"  Now, take this for what you will- but I thought it was brilliant.  I mean, no matter how you look at it- we put many different things in our bodies that should never pass our lips.  Doritos being one of them.  Or maybe you don't eat doritos- but you do love doughnuts... or cake... or ice cream... or whatever your equivalent is.  But do we really want to be putting those things into our bodies?  


I get asked all of the time by people in my yoga classes, or just people who talk to me about fitness- "What do you eat? Do you eat carbs? Do you eat this or that?"  And when I first started getting this question I was at first baffled that someone wanted to know what I would eat- like I must have some amazing eating regime that is that of a model yogi.  And then whenever I thought like this I got really embarrassed because no, I don't eat like a model yogi.  Or a model anything for that matter.  I just eat what I want to.  Now I didn't say AS MUCH as I wanted to- I said I eat WHAT I want to.  


There are two points that I am trying to make here: 1. Don't put something into your body that you know isn't what your body needs (leaving doritos at the alter) and 2.  Eat what you love to eat.  These two rules seem to be very counteractive.  But I promise- they are not. 


The overall idea is to eat foods that are whole foods- foods from the earth- that are not manufactured in some laboratory in Iowa where they genetically modify everything.  Eat as many REAL foods as you can.  Vegetables, fruits, grains, etc... the more you start to eat whole foods- the more you will crave whole foods.  After awhile you will start to taste how processed some of the foods you have been eating taste- or how oily or greasy restaurant food is. BUT when you do want something- I mean REALLY want it, eat it.  By this I don't mean that one morning someone brings in doughnuts and you all of a sudden want a doughnut.  Eat what you REALLY want- and I promise you, you will be satisfied beyond belief, and eat much less.  


So many times we are told what to eat by nutritionists, magazines, TV shows, friends, coworkers... but who are they to tell us what to eat?  Maybe I don't want 1 cup of broccoli for dinner every night of the week.  Maybe one night I want a baked potato instead- is that so wrong?  (I know that so many of you are thinking 'yes, it is because we were told to not eat carbs and carbs are scary and if I eat one carb I have to eat 1000'.  No, thats not how it works.  Did I say I was going to eat the ENTIRE potato? No.  I'm going to have enough bites to be satisfied, and not a bite more.)  This is why I was baffled that people asked me what I ate- like if they ate what I eat then it will work for them.  Everyone is different! Everyone craves different food- everyone enjoys different food.


Here is the bottom line.  I used to LOVE french fries.  I'm talking love.  This is embarrassing- but I am going to share it so that maybe someone else can make the transition that I did- but I could seriously take down a large french fry from McDonalds without even blinking an eye (I know, I know its painful to even say).  And I would deprive myself of all french fries, always.  But when I did allow myself to eat them I would eat as many as I could because I knew I would not get to eat them for a long time.  But guess what?  The next time would come sooner than I planned- and I would end up eating more than I ever should have.  


But then I decided hey- if I want some french fries I should be able to eat french fries.  And so I started letting myself eat what I wanted- if I felt like ordering french fries with my veggie burger then I ordered french fries.  I ate a few to satisfy my craving- and then stopped eating.  And believe it or not- I got over my french fry craving.  They are just greasy, salty potatoes to me now.  I would much rather have some homemade baked french fries, or a baked potato for that matter- or maybe even a salad or broccoli.  And this all happened because I let myself eat what I wanted to without depriving myself of anything- even if it wasn't that good for me- because eating a few french fries here and there is a lot better than eating a large french fry from McDonalds in one sitting.


So whatever your "french fry" may be start rethinking how good it is for your body.  Is it nutritionally valuable to you?  Will it make you feel light, healthy, and refreshed after you eat it?  Do you REALLY want it?  And if somehow you still want to eat it after asking all of these questions- let yourself eat it.  Only a few bites- until you are satisfied- and then forget about it.  Move on- and make sure that you balance it out with a few more raw vegetables during the day.  




No comments:

Post a Comment